Re: What's cooking in git.git (Aug 2018, #04; Fri, 17)
- From
Derrick Stolee <stolee@gmail.com>
- Date
- Aug 20, 2018, 18:14 UTC
- Message-ID
- <800850d1-1880-2a8a-f5d5-7d0593787142@gmail.com>
- In-Reply-To
- <xmqqlg91aqzh.fsf@gitster-ct.c.googlers.com>
On 8/20/2018 1:26 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
Show 28 quoted lines
> Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com> writes: > >>> Usually, I refrain from merging larger topics in 'next' down to >>> 'master' when we get close to -rc0, but I am wondering if it is >>> better to merge all of them to 'master', even the ones on the larger >>> and possibly undercooked side, expecting that we collectively spend >>> effort on hunting and fixing bugs in them during the pre-release >>> freeze period. If we were to go that route, I'd want everybody's >>> buy-in and I'll promise to ignore any shiny new toys that appear on >>> list that are not regression fixes to topics merged to 'master' >>> since the end of the previous cycle to make sure people are not >>> distracted. >> Based on what I see in 'next' (midx, range-diff, etc), I quite like >> this idea. > The comment above was about the ones that was marked as "Will merge > to 'master'" that are in 'next', not the ones marked as "Will cook > in 'next'", like the midx ones. > > I am not worried about range-diff, as I do not think it came close > enough to the core-ish code to break other things; the potential > damage is fairly isolated and the worst would be that we'd realize > that we shipped with a new command that was buggy after the release, > which is not the end of the world. 'midx' and 'reachable' are quite > different stories, as bugs in them would in the worst case lead to > an immediate and unrecoverable repository corruption. > > So I am still on the fence, even though I am leaning toward merging > them down to 'master'.
I'm happy to wait until 2.19 is cut for ds/multi-pack-index to merge down. I sent a new series today [1] that improves the series and corrects some bugs I found while making the full Git test suite work when writing a multi-pack-index on every repack. Nothing was "unrecoverable repository corruption," but I understand the concern there. Making the safest decision is probably the best decision.
I'm happy to contribute to a "pre-2.19 bug bash" after you merge things into master.
Thanks,
-Stolee
[1] https://public-inbox.org/git/20180820165124.152146-1-dstolee@microsoft.com/T/#u
[PATCH 0/9] multi-pack-index cleanups