Re: When should we release Git 3.0?
- From
Taylor Blau <me@ttaylorr.com>
- Date
- Oct 1, 2025, 16:01 UTC
- Message-ID
- <aN1QUDzYli0GsGy9@nand.local>
- In-Reply-To
- <aNxivuJEnSHbQNdr@fruit.crustytoothpaste.net>
On Tue, Sep 30, 2025 at 11:07:42PM +0000, brian m. carlson wrote:
Show 9 quoted lines
> Almost all of the functionality that we had wanted in Git 3.0 has been > implemented. The two major things we may want to consider as blockers > for Git 3.0 are the following: > > * The SHA-256 interoperability work is not done yet. My estimate of > this work is 200–400 patches, of which about 100 are done. If the > original schedule is maintained, this would require writing up to 75 > patches and sending in 100 patches per cycle, which is unrealistic > without additional contributors.
I need to polish up the notes from the Contributor's Summit and share them with the list, but my general feeling at the end of the discussion on the SHA-256 interoperability work was that it wasn't clear whether or not it should be a blocker for Git 3.0.
If post-3.0 repositories are using SHA-256, then either their post-Git 3.0 clients will also use SHA-256, or the pre-3.0 clients (without interop support) will be unable to interact with them. I don't think there would be any reason to have a interop-capable client use a SHA-256 repository in SHA-1 mode.
On the other side of the coin, if a repository is still using SHA-1, then both pre-3.0 and post-3.0 clients will be able to interact with it without interop support.
But you have thought about the interop work far more than I (or anybody else) has, so I am very likely missing some obvious use-case here.
Show 12 quoted lines
> * Some forges and other projects do not yet have full SHA-256 support. > It's my understanding that all of the major forges are undertaking or > have undertaken this work and are at various levels of completion, but > it's not clear that other projects have appropriate support. > > We may also wish to stick to a stricter timeframe for this release > regardless and make four releases from now or the next release a year > away Git 3.0 regardless of whether those items above are completed. > > Discussions at the Contributor Summit did mention the advantage of > having a hard deadline would be that it would make projects and forges > spend the time to implement SHA-256 support if they're lacking it.
My feeling on this portion of the discussion was that we should take into account the readiness of the ecosystem as a whole in deciding when to release Git 3.0.
I agree that not having a deadline can lead to forges delaying the work necessary to support SHA-256 repositories, so I agree that we shouldn't push it off into the future indefinitely.
On the other side of the coin, I don't think we should rush Git 3.0 out the door before the ecosystem is broadly ready for it. If we do that, we're creating a worse experience for a significant portion of Git users that use popular forges who may not have complete SHA-256 support at the time of the release.
Thanks, Taylor