Re: [PATCH] config.mak.uname: Cygwin: Use renames for creation
- From
Adam Dinwoodie <adam@dinwoodie.org>
- Date
- Aug 11, 2015, 10:05 UTC
- Message-ID
- <20150811100527.GW14466@dinwoodie.org>
- In-Reply-To
- <xmqqwpx3t102.fsf@gitster.dls.corp.google.com>
On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 12:08:29PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
Show 12 quoted lines
> But in the end, I'd prefer the choice of the compiled-in default up > to the port maintainers. You earlier said: > > This problem was reported on the Cygwin mailing list at > https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2015-08/msg00102.html (amongst others) and > is being applied as a manual patch to the Cygwin builds until the patch > is taken here. > > so my preference is to see Cygwin continue to do so for a couple > release cycles of ours to make sure all Cygwin end-users are happy > and consider the flip of the default a good change for them, and > then the official Cygwin packager of Git sends a patch our way.
Wait a few releases then resubmit assuming we've not had complaints from Cygwin user. Okay!
> https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2015-08/msg00102.html seems to indicate > that somebody called Adam Dinwoodie is wearing Git maintainer hat, > so perhaps you may be that "official Cygwin packager of Git" ;-)
That would indeed be yours truly :)
Show 6 quoted lines
> I agree with everything you said in that message to Peter---the > patch should be included when you hear reports of `git config > core.createObject rename` helping more people. After versions of > Cygwin Git package with such a change proves good, let's reduce the > workload of Cygwin Git maintainer by upstreaming that change to my > tree. But not before.
Cool. FWIW, the reason we've started applying this patch to the downstream Cygwin builds is that I've now seen a number of reports (primarily on Stack Overflow) of this problem where that config change has fixed things. I'd been holding off until I had those extra reports, but now I have them I made the patch and figured I'd submit it upstream at the same time. As above, I'll wait a while until we're happy it's stable, and resubmit at that point.
(On which note, I should probably submit the patch to the git-gui Makefile we've had in our builds since back in v1.7.9, before I took over the maintainership, since that one clearly is pretty stable...)
Thanks!